Saturday, December 27, 2008

Brief Country Info



Feliz Navidad! (Merry Christmas!)




As promised, some more information about the cities and countries in which I will be living -




Argentina is at the very tip of South America, and is known for its beef and grain exports. Buenos Aires, with a population of about thirteen million, has the feel of an old European city, but with a distinct Latino flair. Home of the tango, Buenos Aires has also developed an industrial sector, thanks to its port status (the citizens of Buenos Aires are refered to as porteños) and location in the fertile pampas region, where most of the country's agricultural production occurs.





Peru, on the other hand, is located in the northwest of South America. Founded by the Spanish conquistador Francisco Pizarro in 1535, Lima maintains its colonial charm while supporting a population of over eight million. Though most think of the Andes Mountains and Machu Pichu in relation to Peru, Lima is actually located on a flat coastal plain overlooking the Pacific Ocean.

While this is a fairly brief description of both cities, I would rather go into more detail once I experience life there myself. If you're interested in more information, I'm sure you can google it!


As for personal updates on my trip, I'm very excited to have received a scholarship from both the University of Florida International Center and the national-based Gilman Scholarship. I still hope to hear back on one more scholarship, because every bit helps!


I've finally got my ticket booked to Houston, where I will leave with the rest of the group in my program on January 29th. Although my program ends May 23rd, I hope to do some traveling myself until June 5th, on which my return flight is currently scheduled (we will see if that changes!). I received some great stocking stuffers for traveling as I attempt to fit all my belongings I'll need for five months in one or two suitcases! (For those who have seen my closet, this will be a feat in and of itself).


Espero que tengan un Feliz Año Nuevo,
(I hope that you have a happy New Year),
Coli

No comments:

Post a Comment