Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Baranco and Neblina

Thursday April 30, 2009 2:29 AM
My house in Lima


Monday, April 27, 2008

Today Kara, Lindsey, and I left early this morning to explore Barranco, the bohemian neighborhood. Although we had been there before during the night, it was too dark to appreciate the unique colors and styles of all the houses in the area. We spent several hours just wandering and enjoying the unique architecture. We made a point to stop by the Puente del Suspiros (Bridge of Sighs), supposedly named for a tragic love-stricken aristocratic girl who pined after a street sweeper from her window. Legend says that your wish is granted if you walk across the bridge without breathing, but I started laughing as we walked briskly across the wooden planks and unfortunately didn’t make it. We also enjoyed the view of the ocean far below us at the base of the cliffs before we caught a bus back to near school.

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Another morning at the beach, followed by a field trip in our Trade class to ADEX, a trade body comprised of companies that represent 33% of trade in Peru. We had a small intercambio with ISA in Barranco and went to dinner for anticuchos (cow hearts on a skewer) and picarones (sort of like fried doughnuts, but made from yam and with a honey sauce), followed by a salsa class. We tried crossing the Puente de Suspiros again, although I’m not sure if it counts on your second time. At any rate, I forgot to take a deep breath and ended up sprinting across the bridge. We looked like fools, I’m sure.

Thursday, April 30, 2009

Well, today was a reminder that sometimes things don’t always work out the way you planned. Though I currently should be in the midst of the Amazon jungle, a heavy fog (neblina) descended over Lima (and smells abhorrently of fish), preventing any flights from leaving. So we ended up sitting in the airport for eight hours while they determined whether to cancel our flight completely – which they did. In the end, we rescheduled our trip for next weekend. I’m definitely excited that I’m still going but it also means that things will be even more complicated with my parent’s visit – can’t believe they arrive tomorrow night! Looks like I at least get to greet them when they arrive, and I’m sure everything will work out for the best so we can spend time together in between both our travels. We finally got home around 12:30 AM and I had so much pent up energy that I went running with James and Lauren until 2:20. Now that I’m home, I’m ready to crash!

TIP OF THE DAY: Don’t buy candy bars from airports. And if you do, make sure they don’t try and estafarte (rip you off) – especially when the register rings up the price at 3.00 to make you think, “Oh, 3 soles/1 USD, that’s not too bad,” when in reality you receive little change back and discover that it was actually US$3 and S/.9 for a little candy bar! Sorry, just a little bitter.

Can't wait to see the padres! Coli

No comments:

Post a Comment